Saturday, March 5, 2011

Baby voice

I'm coming out and admitting my week back to work after a restful, blissful February vacation was stressful. Once again, none of this stress was at the fault of the children. What does that say about adults??

Anyway, there were plenty of interactions that made me smile, and here are a few of them:

I tutor this little boy, Aiden, who sometimes looking at him alone brings a smile to my face. He's a little chubby, fully of snot, has very curly hair that covers his eyes a bit, and as if that wasn't enough, he has an unfortunate breathing problem. He and I get along great, but he does have behavioral issues at school, and he loves, loves to be right. In fact, he and I have a behavioral chart for each time he doesn't argue with me while I'm helping him. He's currently working hard for a chance to play a video game on his dad's ipad for as this little guy says "a whole 20 minutes." His dad isn't worried that he'll have to had over his ipad any time soon. At this last visit, Aiden was only talking like a baby. We had this interaction:

boy (in obnoxious baby voice): I need help on 'dis one.
Me: Aiden, I'll help you, but you are too big to talk like that.
boy: sorwee! (still in baby voice) I'm 'da baby in 'da house.
Without responding, I walk over to the kitchen counter where I usually leave a note to his mom. Aiden stops me and STILL in his baby voice he says, "where you goin'?"
Me: I'm writing a note to your mom that you should go to bed very early tonight because you're a baby now.
boy: (NOW in regular voice) what?! why?! Don't do that. She'll do anything you say.
Me: We'll if you are a baby now, you should be going to bed soon. I don't, at say about, 7:30.
boy: Okay, okay...let's just do this math.

:) Worked like a charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment