Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June?!

I'm actually doing it. A co-worker convinced me to entrust my little ones with them, so I can sleep in a little a try to get rid of this cold. I wanted to believe it was allergies, but as the anti-histamines proved, I'm not allergic to anything. The truth is I think my body is responding to the end of the year craziness in fifth grade and my tendency to over-commit myself. I also noticed that the more stressed I am, the less I notice funny events or saying around me. One of the reasons I started this blog in the first place, aside from sharing some of these ridiculous experiences, is to force myself to notice as much as possible all of the funny and clever things the kids say and do.

Tonight I was grading their tests on the systems of the body. In response to the question, "what is the function of the immune system?" A boy wrote, "The function of the immune system is to fight off sperms that try to harm the body." I guess sperms and germs sound too similar for him. Or, maybe he recently learned about sex? Oh well, I had to mark that one wrong.

Another response that I found cute (and actually understand HOW the child came up with this) is in answer to the question: "why does air enter and leave the body when the diaphram relaxes and contracts?" The correct answer is that it creates a vacuum in the abdominal cavity. Instead, he wrote, "the diaphram is our body's vacuum cleaner without electricity." Umm...I think we had a misunderstanding...

No comments:

Post a Comment