Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Not my grandparents!

One of the fifth grade science lessons is about the 6 life processes that all living things do. They are: 1) gets energy 2) uses energy 3) gets rid of waste 4) grows 5) reacts to change 6) reproduce. As a way to practice looking for all six processes, kids pick picture cards out of a basket. They get to talk in a small group to go through the 6 life processes and decide if something is really alive. A little girl in my class got “grandparents.” I happen to know her grandma, which makes this even more funny. When she got her card, she sat and thought about it. Then, she came up to me and said:

Girl: Ms. F, I know that my grandparents are alive but they don’t do all of the life processes.

Me: Really?! They are people aren’t they? Which ones don’t they do?

Girl: Well, they don’t reproduce!

Me: Of course, they did. How do you think they became grandparents?

Girl: Ms. F, there is just no way. Not my grandparents!

Me: Why not? They had your parents.

Girl: They’re just so old.

Me: They weren’t always that old.

Girl: Can I just pick another card?

No comments:

Post a Comment