Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Group work with Clay

At my school, the grade does the cooperative group project involving the systems of the body. The children make models and posters to explain a system of the human body. Two girls in my class were working together. One girl is very creative, and she thinking outside the box. She is a very good creative writer and doesn't directly state very much. The other girl organized, likes to get things done, and can frankly, be a little bossy. I listened to them trying to navigate how they were going to include everything in their poster. The creative girl, Michelle, got so made at the organized girl, Allison, that I started to visually see it in her face. I wanted to see how they were going to handle it. Allison got more and more pushy and authoritative about not doing Michelle's idea. Michelle became very silent and just started squeezing the modeling clay so it would gush through her fingers. Allison said something like, "now we have a plan and we will finish this project soon." Michelle, with tears in her eyes and holding up a ball of clay, said, "Allison, see this ball of clay. If this were your head, I would just squeeze your brains out until you'd stop talking." As the words came out of her mouth, she ripped the ball in two right in front of Allison's face. So I stepped in:

Me: Allison, do you understand what Michelle is trying to say to you?
Allison: ( looking confused) Not really
Me: She sounds angry. Michelle, are you angry at Allison?
Michelle: (now crying) yes, she doesn't like any of my ideas.
Allison: It's not that I don't like any of your ideas. It's that were not doing them.
Me: (to Allison) Why can't you include some of her ideas?
Allison: I guess we can
Me: The point of this project is to work together to fulfill your task. I want you to try to include parts of both of your ideas...understood?

I love the way Michelle ripped the ball of clay in Allison's face. Even funnier to me, Allison totally didn't get that Michelle was even mad. Kids learn so much more in school than just the academic subjects...at least I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment