Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Snack

On Mondays, I tutor this little girl that I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’ve been working with her for three years now. I’ve really come to know her parents over the years between her special needs, lots of meetings at her school and even some discipline and behavioral issues. We’ve been through a lot with this girl, Nina, and we’ve built a level of trust and teamwork that’s so helpful. I showed up to this girl’s house, and remarkably, I showed up before her bus came. When her mom came to the door, she was having trouble breathing and shocked me with, “I’m so sorry to do this to you, but I need you to drive me to the hospital. I have terrible asthma, and I know this is bad. My husband will meet us there as soon as he can.” So, as I think anyone would, I agreed to drive her and we started walking towards the car.

Sure enough, Nina’s bus came and she bolted off the bus as if she was trapped in there for years. She saw me and immediately launched into, “Lisa! I have so much homework, and it’s hard.” I told her that we’d work on it, but that her mom wasn’t feeling well and we needed to get in my car immediately and drive to the hospital.

This is the part that totally knocked me off my feet. Nina proceeded to only focus on herself in the midst of an emergency with her mom. She started with, “Can I get a snack first?” I told her no, but we’d get one at the hospital. I rushed her to the car, reminded her to buckle up and we were off. Throughout the whole car ride (about 10 minutes), Nina could not stop talking about her snack, her poor mom was wheezing and coughing, and I was putting all my effort into getting to the hospital quickly and safely. Behind me I hear:

Nina: Lisa, what kind of snacks do hospitals have?

Me: They have a bunch of things, and you’ll choose when you get there (aka: don’t know be quiet)

Nina: Lisa, do they have lemonade? I think I want lemonade.

Me: I’m not sure, but we’ll go look. We just have to get there (aka: I don’t know, stop asking me questions)

Nina: Lisa….

Me: Yes

Nina: ummm, ummm actually nevermind

(thank gd!)

30 seconds later

Nina: Lisa, I remember now. Am I allowed to have chips?....Liiisssaaa?, Liiiiisssa?

Me: (trying to get driving directions from the wheezing mom; I finally said in a stern voice) Nina, I need you to listen very carefully to me. My main job right now is getting Mommy to the hospital. I promise I’ll get you a snack, but I need quiet so I can hear how to get where we need go. Do you understand?

Nina: Yeah

We get to the hospital (which isn’t close by, by the way), and I pull into the circle. Mom starts walking in, and I go park the car with Nina. As we are walking into the hospital, I said, “Nin, do you understand why I needed quiet?

Nina: (with a smile) yeah, I get it now.

Me: Do you want to get a snack now?

Nina: Nah, I’m not hungry anymore

Seriously?!

No comments:

Post a Comment