Monday, January 11, 2010

Clapping

This isn't as funny as it is just simply mind-boggling to me. Today, we sat through a middle school production of Annie Jr (which is like the real show of Annie just shortened). Anyway, throughout the show I noticed my students didn't clap. Furthermore, they didn't clap at the end of the show. You're probably thinking...there must have been some students who clapped. I kid you not! Not one student clapped.

I was so shocked that I had to bring this up in class when we got back. I said, "Raise your hand if you've ever been to a show before." They ALL raised their hands. Raise your hand if you can describe "good audience behavior." A girl raised her hand and said sit quietly, don't kick the chair in front of you, share the arm rest. I proceeded to talk to them about clapping. I actually had to teach them about showing respect at a show. One boy raised his hand and asked, "what if you didn't like the show? do you still have to clap?"

It is just funny to me that this is even something I have to teach in 5th grade. Does anyone else think this is weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment