Saturday, February 6, 2010

Questions

Hi to all-

I am going through some notes about the week before I start to lesson plan, and I am faced with some funny situations that I have to decide what to do about. I am reaching out to my readers to write a comment on this blog and share their opinions on the following situations:

1) I have a student who's butt is constantly hanging out of his pants when he sits down. If we are doing partner work on the rug, the butt comes out. If he's at his desk, the butt comes out. In the lunch room, the butt comes out. It is everywhere! I have unfortunately seen more of this kid's rear end than I'd like. We have a serious plummer butt situation in the room. Usually, I quickly whisper to him to fix his pants, and he does it. The other kids in the class are starting to have a field day with this and some truly cannot concentrate when the butt is out (do you blame them?). Do I mention this to his parents coming from "a concerned teacher?" Do I just stay out of it and hope the kid mentions to his parents that he needs new pants or possibly a belt? Any thoughts?

2) Issue two: This is personally funny to me, because my parents used to say: "Make sure you brush your teeth so you don't kill your teacher with your breath." I used to say back to them that there was no way they'd smell my breath. But enough about my life...there is this child that I work 1 on 1 with who's breath is killing me. To give you picture of what kind of breath I'm talking about, if I work with her before lunch, I loose my appetite. That's hard to do with me! Anyway, I tried to gently bring it up with her two days ago, and the conversation went like this:

Me: (conveniently we had a morning tutoring time) Sweetheart, did you forget to brush you teeth this morning?
Girl: Nope
Me: Are you washing your retainer (the girl does have an unusual amount of appliances in her mouth) ?
Girl: Yeah

The little bugger denied it! So, I feel like to have take this battle to the next level. Do I grit my teeth and bare the stank? I could send her to the nurse who helps me with the deodorant boy-cotters that knock me over. Or, do I offer her some peppermint patties? I would invest a few dollars in the patties, seem like the nice teacher and help myself. Keep in mind, while this option is tempting it is further destroying her oral hygiene. I could also straight talk her, but she's such a sweet one. I'll feel bad.

Readers, these are the issues of our time (hehe)! Where do you stand?

2 comments:

  1. I am totally in favor of the mints-on-your-desk idea. Preferably in an apple shaped bowl, in true teacher like fashion. Or, and I am a chocolate connoisseur, get a bag of the new peppermint patty-flavored Reese's Pieces m&m candies. That might bring a whole other dilemma to the forefront, though... are they washing their hands before they stick them in that communal bowl? On second thought, get individually wrapped minty candies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input! The mini- individually wrapped peppermint patties might be my salvation. Now, do you have any suggestions about the boy and his butt?

    ReplyDelete