Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A computer just for video games

I took a personal day yesterday, and it turns out if was a good day to do it. The rain storm took out the power at school, and we were barely functional today. From what I hear the school was ridiculous on Monday. Coming back to school today was stressful because of some commuting hassles. I was further annoyed when I realized the copies, emails and smartboard presentations were not going to happen. One thing was able to totally change my mood, and it wasn't the electricity coming on (although we eventually got some power). One of the boys came up to me and said, "Welcome back, Ms. F! I missed you." That boy might have just been being polite, but it really helped me.

On a more ridiculous note, one of the boys in my class told me that he can't type his report at home because he isn't allowed to use the computers at his house. I was surprised to hear it, and at conferences last week, I was sure to ask his parents about it. His parents were like, "what?! You mean that less than a year old computer in his room. Of course, he can use it." We decided that we were going to team up to keep a closer eye on his stories. He gave me a different story about the computer today that "it is really only for video games, and that (his) dad doesn't like it if he uses it for anything else." So, I told him that we were going to make a phone call together and he can ask his dad permission right now if he can use his computer for his assignment. Looking a totally uncomfortable, we dialed his dad's cell phone and spoke together on speaker phone. We had this conversation:

Me: Hi, Mr. ______ this is Ms. F. I'm standing here with Jacob and his handwritten copy of his report.
Dad: Hey, buddy, why isn't the report typed like Ms. F asked ?
Jay: Hey (quiet voice then silence)
Dad: That's your explanation? Hey?
Jay: I didn't type it.
Dad: I hear that. Why?
He is just standing there stiff..no sound coming out of his mouth...
Me: Mr. _________, Jay shared that he is under the impression that he's not allowed to use his computer unless it is for video games.
Dad: Seriously? Come on, Jay
Jay: I was just..
Dad (cuts him off): Buddy, just stop...whatever you were just, you aren't anymore...got it?
Jay: okay
Dad: You are going to type the paper tonight...on your computer... that's not just for video games

Honestly...did he think I would fall for a computer just for video games...come on!

The clincher...as we are ending the conversation, this happens:

Dad: So, we are all clear about what is going to happen and what is going to be in Ms. F's hands tomorrow morning.
Jay: Yeah, and Dad..
Dad: Yeah
Jay: Can I go to Joey's after-school for a playdate?

Oy! Even I could tell, it's not a good time to ask this..yikes!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had a computer that was just for video games.

    ReplyDelete