Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Persuasive Writing

One of the styles of writing we expose kids to in fifth grade is persuasive writing. The thing about learning to write persuasively is that you have to know how to be convincing someone in general. Some of these kids don't realize that 'because I want it' or 'I asked for it' aren't very convincing. Anyway, I started this lesson off with an index card on everyone's desk and asked them to try to convince me not to give them homework. This might be the best idea I've had in a long time. Check out some of the tactics they used (and my thoughts afterward):

"Did you know that a lot of Americans are obese? Well, you're the cause. Teachers force kids to sit and do homework instead of playing outside. That is why the country is fat." Oh yeah, fast food, TV, computers and video games have nothing to do with it ;).

"A scientist said once that the more free time students have the better they do in school." So, does that mean that anything a scientist said once is true?

"If we didn't have homework, I would behave better in class because I'd be done running around. I could get my rest in class." Dude, you have to behave in the classroom anyway.

"Ms. F, I bet you didn't like homework as a kid. So, why do you give it to us? Shouldn't you treat us the way you would have wanted to be treated. It's the golden rule." If they only knew what I nerd I was...(and still am..;).

No comments:

Post a Comment