Sunday, March 7, 2010

See, this is why I work with kids

For awhile now, this situation has stuck in my mind as to why working with adults would drive me crazy. I just get the feeling that they should know better. Kids, we'll at least they have the fact that they're young and naive as an excuse. Anyway, picture this:

I was looking for research books for my kids in the library. That's right, my kids are rockin' they're first research report with the help of yours truly. As I was searching the shelves, a little kindergarten class was checking out books. Watching them, in and of itself, is pure entertainment. There is a boy in this class that has a sister in my class. I recognized his mother walking into the library. As soon as she stepped foot in the library, the little boy ran to her: "Mommy!" His little unsuspecting friend ran over to her too. He tapped her and said, "are you Adam's mommy?" With an annoyed expression, she turned to this little boy and said, "kid, what do you think? I just walk into random classes and kiss random kids. I mean, come on!" If he were a little older, he probably would have walked away hurt and maybe started crying. He may have felt hurt, but he certainly didn't look it. He had the best response I think he could have had. He paused a minute and said, "so, are you Adam's mommy? I don't know." Thank goodness Adam finally stepped in and said, "Yes, this is my mommy."

Here's my question: would it have killed her to just say yes the first time? Furthermore, she may not walk up to random kindergartners and kiss them, but she will snap at random kindergartners? I was so annoyed with her just watching that. I feel like she should know better. Honestly! Kudos to that little boy for hanging in there and giving it right back to her. What would she have done if her five year old didn't take control of the situation?

1 comment: