Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Distraught

This boy I tutor came in to our session a little annoyed. When I asked him what was wrong he explained that he has to redo part of an assignment, and he thought it was ridiculous. It was a vocabulary assignment. He had to write sentences that showed the meanings for his vocabulary words. For the word, distraught, he wrote: "The man stood in from of subway and McDonalds distraught." I asked him if he knew distraught meant and he told me. So we continued with this conversation:

Me: okay, I'm not sure I see how your sentence shows the meaning of distraught
Boy: well, the man can't decide if he should get food from McDonalds or Subway, and that's why he's standing there.
Me: I see how he might be confused but he's not confused because he's upset. He's just undecided.
Boy: I disagree, speak for yourself. You have one meal. Do you enjoy the fries and all beef patty or the delicious turkey sub and chips? When you are hungry, some people might feel upset and confused.
Me: I see what you're saying. Maybe your teacher needs a more common situation that people get distraught in...can you think of anything?
Boy: ice cream or cake?
Me: Let's move away from deciding about food.
Boy: Like losing keys?

This cracked me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment