Thursday, March 18, 2010

From Books to Breakup

In elementary school, kids have "reading" as a subject. Many of you probably don't remember back that far, but reading and understanding it is an actually activity. In my class now we are cycling three books: Phantom Tollbooth, Among the Hidden and The Time Bike. In the Among the Hidden group, we were talking about how different one of the characters is from the rest of his family. One of the ideas about reading that I always come back to with this kids is that the reader needs to relate to what he or she is reading in some way. So, I try to think of questions that might guide their thinking. So, I asked: how are you different than the rest of the members of your family. I expected many of the answers I got such as: I'm the least grumpy when I wake up, I am the only one who likes cartoons, I'm the only one who likes bugs....Then, there was this answer:

"I'm the only one who doesn't make a big deal out of my sister's break up with her stupid boyfriend. My parents are listening to her cry, and I want to yell at her to shut up. You're not allowed to say shut up in my house though."

What a sympathetic younger brother!

A note about Among the Hidden: This is an awesome book that I think even adults should read. It is the first book in the 'shadow children' series by Jane Haddix.

No comments:

Post a Comment