Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mom, do you do....?

Fifth grade is a hard age for kids because they start wanting to be a part of the crowd so badly, and friendships are so incredibly important to them. At my school there are usually a few cliques of girls that vary in interest and maturity level. A girl from my class started hanging out with a more "mature" group of girls made up of mostly girls from another class. I am not going to deny that this year's crowd is not the hippest. Anyway, since she started hanging out with these girls, she's been making some poor decisions. and I've been in touch with her mom about it. We are trying to help guide her a little more. The mother shared this story today:

"You know, Ms. F, you're absolutely right that she's being exposed to new things with this group, and she's not processing things well. My husband and I agreed that this past weekend was going to be the last play date for a long time. When we picked her up, she got in the car and was rather quiet. Suddenly, like out of nowhere, she asked, 'Mom, do you do masturbation?' My husband almost hit a tree! She didn't understand what the word meant (obviously), and apparently she said this friend's sister was somehow talking about masturbation."

How ridiculous?! How embarrassing is it going to be for her when she gets older and realizes she asked her parents that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment