Friday, April 2, 2010

A house and ten dollars

It's vacation now! I took advantage of the beautiful weather today and marked papers in Bryant Park. Before vacation, we talked about persuasive writing skills. They had a homework assignment to write a persuasive paragraph that tries to convince a member of their family to let then do something or having something. Many of the ideas were pretty standard in the world of 10 year-olds: wanting a cell phone, a later bedtime, or a sleepover. This wrote this paragraph for his parents:

"I would like to live in my own house. It would make the lives of my friends, you and me better. It would be better for me because I would get to live on my own and learn from that. If I get a house (and it doesn't have to be brand new), I will not be annoying to you or my sister at home anymore. If I get a house, I could have sleepovers more often, and you could pay for it. I will get a lot of new friends too because they will want to come to my house. Please get me a house."

All I have to say about this is that kids are getting way to expensive. I remember asking my parents for stuff, but I never went for my own house! I can't even afford a house of my own, and I have a job. Wait...he's not worrying about the cost. After all, he wrote "you could pay for it." So funny!

Here's another good one. This boy intended this paragraph for his older brother:

"I really need ten dollars, Jon. I am approaching you in a brotherly way because I look up to you. You are my role model, and you are awesome! I am lucky to have a brother like you. I am sure that you would want to help me have a happy life, and in order to have a happy life, I need ten bucks. If you give me ten dollars, I will not annoy you for two weeks, and I will do your laundry for one week. I will stay away from you when you have a friend over. I will do what you say. So please, hear me out. I just want ten dollars from you. "

All he needs for a happy life is ten dollars. He'll stay out of your hair for two weeks and do laundry. If you ask me, this is a pure bargain. I would so take this deal....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment