Monday, April 19, 2010

Nursing home and a model society

I forgot to mention another funny thing that happened at the nursing home last week. We walked into the lobby, and I instructed the kids to wait by this giant flower pot. They gathered around the flower pot as I spoke to the lady who organized this with me. She was explaining a few details and asked us to wait a few minutes for some more residents to find their way to the room where we were doing out program. I looked over at too girls looking in these mirrors by the flower pot. They saw that they had my attention and came over to tell me this:

Girl 1: Ms. F, we think this is a really nice nursing home. They even put in these special mirrors over there that make whoever looks in them look younger than they are.
Me: Oh really, why do you think they'd do that?
Girl 2: So, the people here won't feel badly when they see how horrible they actually look.
Girl 1: Come over and look in the mirror, you'll look like a teenager.

Why do they think these mirrors exists? I love their imaginations sometimes...

In other news, we've entered into our study of the colonies. We were discussing the Puritans and how they wanted to set up a model society. I gave them a creative writing assignment about what they think would make up a model society. Most of the answers were really well thought out. Then there was this one:

"In my society, there would be no fast food. We all know fast food is what's making people fat. There would also be no obese people because everyone would have a mandatory exercise hour in the middle of the day. If you feel like you can't do the exercise hour, well, too bad. I guess you better start running now."

Wow! Creative...Does this trouble anyone else though? Of all the aspects of a society, this is what would make it admirable to him...hmm

No comments:

Post a Comment