Monday, April 26, 2010

Surprise and Drama Queen

This year, I have an exceptionally sweet class. I don't know if I've mentioned this previously, but last year was a rough group (they were needy, whiny and often didn't get along). This morning two girls came over to me with a sign they made on a play date. It was a belated happy birthday sign and some cake they made. This sign was one of the greatest things I've ever seen, and it was not just because it was a sign made for me. It was because they took pictures of themselves in funny poses with their thumbs up. Underneath the pictures it says, "we give you two thumbs up." The fact that they spent time doing this, took cheesy pictures of themselves and wrote a cute message will mean that I will cherish this sign always. This is one of the things that keep me going (certainly not the money ;)).

Here's a free writing journal entry one of my students wrote about herself:

"I am one major drama queen. I even got a fake ID card at a bar mitzvah that says "Drama Queen" on it. Then there is a picture of me over the words. It is my official Drama Queen ID card. It is not just the ID card that makes me a drama queen though. My parents call me that because I am a big mouth. I also fake cry sometimes or act like other people. Really, I just like to stand out. I love acting. It is something that you can suddenly do to entertain yourself. If you get mad, I recommend that you imitate that person. If you are upset with yourself, you should make yourself laugh. Also, when you are happy, you should act out whatever made you happy. My parents say I could be an actress, a lawyer, or a comedian when I grow up. At least I have some sort of future."

Wow! There are so many troubling pieces of this to me, but it is just funny how honest she is. I wonder how often she imitates me....hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment