Saturday, December 19, 2009

From Seats...to Spark?

I was too annoyed about teaching to really post anything remotely upbeat about teaching and education. All I have to say is, "if you don't respect teachers, don't work in a school."
Now to something cute :)

Where you sit in class is kind of a big deal for kids. They are always hoping that somehow the teacher will make a "mistake" and put them next to their best friend. Obviously, since we actually want to keep our sanity, teacher usually don't do that (unless they are the rare, mature pair of ten year old that can actually handle such a responsibility). Anyway, it's about time to change seats in my class. I believe strongly in changing seats to mix up the group and separate anyone who developed a bond where they just can't focus anymore. Just before I'm about to change seats, I'll make random notes to myself like, "under no condition put blank with blank" or "desperately needs to sit in the front." I also have make an announcement the day before so no one gets overly worked up, "tomorrow morning you will have a new spot in the classroom because I'm moving around seats." So, I made this announcement just before dismissal. At the end of the day, I was staying with one of my boys who's mother was running late. We had this interaction:

Boy: Ms. Friedman, I can't stop thinking about my new seat.
Me: What are you thinking about? Are you worried?
Boy: It's that I kind of want to sit next to Sarah, and I think if any of my friends knew they'd make fun of me.
Me: Why would they make fun of you?
Boy: Helllllooo...she's a girl, in case you haven't noticed. We all usually hate girls.
Me: I know, why can't you be friends with a girl?
Boy: It's not that I can't be friends with a girl. I just don't want people to think that I LIKE like her. It's just that she's not that bad for girl, and we're reading the same book now.
Me: I see, so how does this relate to your seat?
Boy: If I'm sitting next to her, I can tell people we just talk cause she's next to me. I know you said you'd consider all request but make not guarantees, so maybe you can put me next to her.
Me: I'll definitely think about it..

Poor little guy! Anyway, I'm so glad that some of the boys and girls in my class might start to mix it up a little. Right now, my class is totally "anti-the-opposite-gender."

No comments:

Post a Comment