Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Journals

We had writing time, where we work on various writing skills through writing assignments. If the kids are finished with their required work, they can go on to their independent writing journal. The topics for their writing journal can come from themselves or an “idea basket” in the room that has writing prompts in it. Every now and then, I take the journals home to read to look at how they are applying the rules in their spontaneous writing. They are precious and, at times, hilarious! Over break, I plan to share some highlights...starting with the first journal I read tonight:

“I am scared that I need 2 of my teeth pulled out. I bet it will be very painful because when I was 1 years old, I had a tooth pulled out. My dad said he had to hold me down. That is why I am scared. If I get my tooth pulled out I think I would cry. I wish it won’t hurt.”

“I do not want to be a group up when I’m older. I want to stay a kid so then I can have a lot of fun. I don’t want to be a grown up because I will have to work everyday to make money. I don’t want to be a grown up because I can’t yell at my boss for a higher salary. When I am a kid, I can play with my friends. I don’t want to be a grown up. I want to stay a kid.”

“If I was caught taking money from my mom’s purse, my mom would be very mad. Once my dad caught me and my brother fighting. We always physically fight, and we fight a lot. I think me and my brother are enemies. My brother said, “we are like Cain and Able.” Sometimes I can’t even remember what we are fighting about, but I just keep punching. I am trying to remember to walk away, but we are like countries at war. We get caught fighting a lot.”

“Being a younger brother is sometimes really annoying. Sometimes it has a lot of advantages. Here are some examples. I don’t have to get the newspaper every morning from our driveway. My grandma treats me nice because I am the younger brother. Sometimes though I don’t get to do so much. When I wanted to go on a ride at an amusement park, I couldn’t go because I was too young and too short. Also, my brother gets to sit in the front seat of the car. We are sworn enemies.”

“If I were an icicle and the weather started to get warmer, I would be stressed out! I would be stressed out because I would soon die and melt. I would also be stressed out because I bet melting would hurt and burn.”

Any lines particularly move you?

No comments:

Post a Comment