Wednesday, December 23, 2009

pee and some journals

Dismissal is by far the most difficult time of the day at my school. We have so many kids going to so many different places (busses from a wide range of districts, pick-ups, after school programs, library/study hall, tutoring, play dates). What happened today is one of the worst, if not the worst, possible errors for us. A kindergartener or 1st grader gets on a bus when s/he isn’t supposed to and goes home to an empty house. Today that happened to a 1st grade girl. She got off the bus and found herself locked out of her empty house. Think about how petrifying that is for a six year old. This little girl got so scared she peed in her pants. When the school realized their error, a teacher flew in her car and drove to the house to bring the child back to school. I just so happened to walk with her and another teacher to the library, where she was originally supposed to be. We had this interaction:

Girl: Oh man, these pants are really annoying.
Me: What’s wrong with them, honey? (totally oblivious)
Girl: They’re wet.
Me: Oh, were you walking in the snow? (still didn’t catch on)
Girl: Nope, I peed. Look! (Finally, I got the picture)

A teacher never knows what she’s going to encounter.

Here are some journal features for today:

“Who wants to sleep tonight? I do! I do. Have you ever tried to go to bed listening to your little brother sing ‘A, B, C, D, E,F...” That’s what I listen to going to bed. It’s so annoying. If you’re reading this, I need your help. Please help me persuade my parents to give me my own room.”

“I need freedom from the nerds! This year I happen to be put in the nerd class which is probably the worst, I repeat, worst class to put ME in the whole grade. It’s not fair!”

I have what I affectionately call “a kid disease.” I have a head cold to kick off my vacation. At least I can rest now...finally..

No comments:

Post a Comment