Thursday, December 17, 2009

Surprise

I had a day where I was in meetings more than I was with students. Most teachers will tell you...we hate those days. Honestly, I don't mind the meetings themselves as much as I mind what they do to the kids. Here's a little hint about kids: they need consistency! When there teacher isn't there, it throws them a bit (even in 5th grade). When the day starts and they don't even get to see their teacher, they're day is already slightly off. Anyway, after my first meeting, I walked into the class and I felt so out of touch with how they were. I taught them for a little, and it was quickly time for recess and lunch. My next meeting was during that time, and due to what I see as poor planning on the facilitators part, the meeting ran over (even though she knew when I had to be back). So, my children were left unattended after recess. They came back to recess, and I wasn't there. They were in the room alone. Now, it was only for a total of 10 minutes, but that is plenty of time for something to happen. 10 minutes in child time is long.
To my pleasant surprise, they were in there desk reading when I got back! They wanted to surprise me as my Chanukah present. How sweet is that?! I feel really lucky to have the class that I do this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment